Translate

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Wow!! Time is Flying By!!

I can't believe how fast everything is moving!!  I suppose that the older you get, the faster it passes.  Anyway, I'm going to update everyone on a few projects that I have been working on and I will start from current projects and go backwards until I catch up.  

There are a lot of different things, so, I hope you enjoy the updates.

DIY Outdoor Sink

Sooo much easier than you think!!



I bought a 4 gallon galvenized wash tub from Amazon for about $15.00.  I wish I had purchased a larger size, but for our needs, it'll do, for now.  I used a faucet that had been sent to replace a faulty one in my kitchen. (I had already replaced the kitchen faucet)  I used a couple of  2x4 treated lumber that has been in my wood stash forever for the legs and used some leftover decking from a table I refurbished for the counter top.  
I wanted to place it on the end of my workbench, but, since I share it with the hubs, and he didn't want to take up the space on the bench, I had to come up with an alternative solution, hence the now portable sink countertop. I like being able to move it around, I have to admit.


 What you will need:
1. Watertight galvanized wash tub
2. A faucet (all of your hoses and everything you need for the faucet should be in the package.
3.  Pop Up Drain
4. A Drill
5.  A Hole Cutter to fit the size of your pop up drain
6. Outdoor waterproof Silicone



First, figure out your surface and where you want to place the tub, make sure you have enough space for the faucet too. You just need a space that the wash tub will fit on and is convenient for you, or do what I did and build one yourself.  Second, you will need to use your drill and your hole cutter to cut a hole through the center of the bottom of the wash tub. Next, wherever you have decided to place your sink you will also need to drill a hole for the drain and the faucet.  I placed my wash tub on the countertop and traced the hole I had cut in the tub to mark where I needed to cut the hole to go through the counter top.  Now you can start adding your drain and your faucet.   Just follow the instructions that came with your drain and faucet for installation.

These are the hole cutters that I used.  They usually come in a set and they attach to your drill.


The wash tub is much thinner than most sink vessels, so I had to add a spacer board, (again, a scrap piece of decking) underneath the countertop to allow for the snug fitting of the drain. 

I love the pop up drain, works better than any other drains out there!! (just my own opinion).
I also ran a bead of silicone around the inner bottom of the wash tub, (just in case) and also around where the drain is placed in the hole in the tub.


So, here we go, finished faucet and drain installation on the countertop that I made.  I plan on painting the legs brown because the old 2 x 4's I used had white paint on them, so I am going to paint them to match the legs on my workbench.  I also plan on adding rollers to the bottom, because, it's a little heavy to just pick up and move. 


Still Need to paint the legs


Now for the Garden Hose Hook Up
You will Need a setup that will allow hookup of both hot , cold water, (so water will be supplied thru both hoses and allow for stronger flow) this only allows for cold water because my water supply is being supplied by my garden hose 

Anyway, the photos below are what I ended up using even though I don't need the valve, but it saved me from buying a bunch of adapters.



You will also need a garden hose garden hose adapter

Here is the final hook up


 This is the drain Hose that I used, it just falls behind the deck behind the bushes and drains out there.  We will use this little sink to rinse off our rocks and stones for our lapidary, so nothing harsh will be going into the ground just more water sand and dirt.


You may have a better Idea for the drainage, I just stuck the pop up drain pipe into the rubber tubing and then I sealed it with silicone for extra precaution against leaking.  Everything works, and no leaks!!  AWESOME!!

Hope this helps you to go on out there and do a little satisfying DIY projects!!

God Bless!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *